Design a site like this with
Get started

The Permission to Reenter

Photo by on
permission to reenter

The Permission to Reenter to the U.S.

Once a deportation order has been issued and you have been deported from the United States, there is normally a deportation bar which mandates that you stay outside the U.S. for a certain amount of years. However, there are ways that you can get back into the U.S. even with a deportation order much sooner. This is known as the Permission to Reenter. This would be initiated by the I-212. If approved, it is as though U.S. Immigration is stating that they know you have been deported, but they are forgiving the deportation and allowing you to enter the U.S. many years earlier than you would normally be able to come back to the U.S.

Need Help Preparing the I-212 Permission to Reapply to the U.S.?

Call our Law Office for a free consultation.

permission to reenter

Form I-212

Many people think that to file the Permission to Reenter, that the only thing you need to do is file Form I-212 and that is it. However, that is like giving somebody the cover of a book and leaving all the pages out of the book. There are many items within the I-212 that is necessary in order to have a real chance of success in getting the deportation bar lifted. The I-212 Waiver must convince the Immigration Official or the adjudicator that you deserve to come back to the U.s. years earlier. this is done through declarations, affidavits and supporting evidence showing that you have been rehabilitated, have U.S. ties both in family and work and that you have good moral character.

Normally when the Immigration Law Office will send in the I-212, it will also include a legal brief which will show the law on filing the I-212, the arguments why it should be granted and the persuasive statements of how the purpose of the I-212 is meant to help people who have been deported to return to the United States. In Immigration Court, people will be issued a removal order and then many times be physically deported from the United States. Once removed on a deportation or removal order, then the Permission to Reenter through the I-212 can be prepared and filed anytime. You are essentially submitting an application to reapply for admission to the United States.

“With proper preparation and persuasive arguments, the I-212 Waiver can be approved and you can be inside the U.S. many years sooner than you might think.”

— Brian D. Lerner, Deportation Lawyer

You must have an Immigration Petition along with the I-212

Note that the I-212 by itself does not permit you to just enter the U.S. It is definitely necessary if you have been deported. However, it is only part of what you need. You must have the ability to get back to the U.S. legally after the I-212 would be granted. For example, let’s say that you married a U.S. Citizen, but were deported. You would file the I-212 and then the Consulate Processing for the marriage petition and spouse visa. At the Consulate interview, they would see that the I-212 was granted and you were no longer inadmissible because of the deportation order.

By Brian D. Lerner, Immigration Lawyer & Deportation Attorney

I am an Immigration Attorney I help with all US Immigration Law. Please see my profile at I have been a licensed attorney since 1992 and started the Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, APC. My practice consists of Immigration and Nationality Law and everything involved with and regarding immigration and deportation and citizenship. Regarding Immigration Law, in 2000, I passed a rigorous examination and extensive experience requirements by the State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization. Iam now about 1 of only 150 Certified Specialists in Immigration and Nationality Law from a field of almost 200,000 attorneys. The Immigration Law part of the Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, APC handles cases arising from business visas, work permits, Green Cards, non-immigrant visas, deportation, citizenship, appeals and all areas of immigration. The Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, APC does EB-5 Investor Visas, H-1B Specialty Occupation, L-1 Intracompany Transferee, E-2 Treaty Investor, E-1 Treaty Trader, O-1 Extraordinary Ability among others. We also do K-1 Fiancee and K-3 Spouse Visas. Regarding immigrant visas for the Green Card, we do PERM and advanced degree PERM, Family Petitions, and Extraordinary Alien Petitions. In addition to affirmative petitions, we represent people in people in deportation and removal hearings, including political asylum, withholding of removal, and convention against torture cases. I received my B.S. Degree in Business Administration, with an emphasis on Computer Information Systems, from the University of Southern California. I graduated from the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law with a Juris Doctorate degree. I have argued Petitions for Review and direct appeals all over the U.S. I am admitted to the United States Supreme Court, the California Supreme Court and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 1st - 11th Circuits. Please send me a note with your questions and I will be happy to help. The Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, APC helps people from all over California, the United States and the world. Specialties:Immigration Attorney, Certified Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law Our national deportation law firm will help with any removal case anywhere in the U.S. Our deportation attorneys have been providing deportation defense for nearly 30 years. Our immigration attorneys will appear with you in all immigration court appearances. Of course this will include the initial or master calendar hearing. Laws and regulations are changing all the time. Winning a deportation hearing takes years of experience. There are multiple grounds on what makes you removable from the U.S. If you are in immigration detention, our national immigration law firm can prepare and argue a motion for bond redetermination to get you out. We can also argue and submit during trial all the necessary evidence to try to win a cancellation of removal case. Even if you lose in immigration court, we can try to appeal the case to the board of immigration appeals.

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: